How many times a day do you email the same group of people? Send an email to your boss? Save an email to a frequent folder loction? Why click twice when you can just click once and be done!?
I would like to introduce the Quick Steps feature in Outlook 2010. This feature can be utilized in all of the Microsoft Applications, but for our purposes we will focus on applications within Outlook. Even if you know about Quick Steps, you are probably not using it to its full potential. Take a few minutes to automate your email.
The Quick Steps group is on the main Home tab of the Outlook ribbon. It applies multiple actions at the same time to email messages. For example, if you are frequently moving emails into a specific folder, you can use a Quick Step to move the messages in one click.
The Quick Steps can be customized to create your own gallery of mail actions. Default Quick Steps in Outlook 2010 include the following:
|Move to:||Moves the selected message to a mail folder that you specify and marks the message as read.|
|To Manager||Forwards the message to your manager, or any recipient that you can specify the recipient.|
|Team E-mail||Forwards the message to others in your team.|
|Done||Moves the message to a specified mail folder, marks the message complete, and then marks it as read.|
|Reply & Delete||Opens a reply to the selected message, and then deletes the original message.|
|Create New||Create your own Quick Step to execute any sequence of commands, name it, and then apply an icon to help you identify it.|
To configure or change existing Quick Steps, do the following:
1. In Mail, on the Home tab, in the Quick Steps group, click the More arrow at the side of the Quick Steps box, and then
click Manage Quick Steps.
2. In the Quick Step box, click the Quick Step that you want to change, and then click Modify.
3. Under Actions, change or add the actions that you want this Quick Step to do.
4. If you want, in the Shortcut key box, click a keyboard shortcut that you want to assign to that Quick Step.
5. If you want to change the icon for a Quick Step, click an icon next to the Name box, click an icon, and then click OK.
Create a Quick Step
1. In Mail, on the Home tab, in the Quick Steps group, in the Quick Steps gallery, click the Create New Quick Step.
2. Click an action type from the list or click Custom.
3. In the Name box, type a name for the new Quick Step.
4. Click the icon button next to the Name box, click an icon, and then click OK.
5. Under Actions, choose an action that you want the Quick Step to do. Click Add Action for any additional actions.
6. To create a keyboard shortcut, in the Shortcut key box, click the keyboard shortcut that you want to assign.
Source: “Automate Common or Repetitive Tasks with Quick Steps” Published on Office.com: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/automate-common-or-repetitive-tasks-with-quick-steps-HA010370689.aspx