Research indicates that many successful academic medical centers offer a mentoring program to their faculty. In order to remain competitive, you should consider offering a Mentorship Program to new research faculty. This program could be a recruiting tool, but will also increase faculty retention, job satisfaction and faculty growth.
The Mentorship Program’s goals should include:
- To quickly establish meaningful relationships
- To create a positive onboarding experience
- To give mentees someone to communicate and process with
- To give senior faculty an opportunity to willingly serve as a mentor
- To encourage collaborations among faculty members
- To increase job satisfaction among faculty members
Do you have a mentorship program at your institution? What are the goals of your program? Do you feel it has been successful?